It’s the news the world has been waiting for: Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have finally confirmed their royal engagement!
On Monday morning, the parents of the Suits star, Thomas Markle and Doria Ragland, announced the news we all wanted to hear in a statement.
“We are incredibly happy for Meghan and Harry. Our daughter has always been a kind and loving person. To see her union with Harry, who shares the same qualities, is a source of great joy for us as parents.” The statement ended: “We wish them a lifetime of happiness and are very excited for their future together,” the statement ended.”
Clarence House has confirmed that the ceremony will take place in the spring of 2018. This will be the biggest royal wedding since his brother, Prince William, walked down the aisle with Kate Middleton in 2011.
Not only that, but this will also be the first time that a direct heir to the throne marries an American since 1937, when King Edward VIII abdicated to marry the also actress Wallis Simpson.
The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh “are delighted for the couple and wish them every happiness”, a Buckingham Palace spokesman said. Prince William and Kate Middleton also celebrated the news: “We are very excited for Harry and Meghan. It has been wonderful getting to know Meghan and to see how happy she and Harry are together.”
Meghan, 36, and Harry, 33, started dating last summer after being introduced by a mutual friend in London. The couple confirmed their relationship by the end of 2016, after much speculation. Just two months ago, Harry and Meghan made their first public appearance at the Invictus Games in Toronto.
“We’re two people who are really happy and in love,” said the Suits star earlier this year in an interview with Vanity Fair, talking about their relationship for the first time.
Congratulations to the royal bride and groom to be!