Cara Delevingne debuted a drastic hair change on the Met Gala red carpet this year: a shaved (and silver!) head. And now that the Gala hype has settled, she’s using her new ‘do as a platform to address society’s outdated standards for beauty. Along with Cara, many other inspiring women like Hillary Clinton, Maya Angelou, Gloria Steinem and Rihanna are advancing the conversations on topics like gender equality.
The following quotes are words of inspiration by some of the smartest, most talented leaders in the world. To all the women and men continuing the fight for feminism in 2017, get inspired by the words of the trailblazing women who’ve said it best.
1) “The more we embrace who we are as people and rely less on our physical attributes, the more empowered we become.” She then explained how there’s no singular definition for beauty, which we couldn’t agree more with. “Beauty shouldn’t be so easily defined. It is limitless,” wrote Cara Delevingne in the photo’s caption this week.
2) “To all the little girls who are watching, never doubt that you are valuable and powerful and deserving of every chance and opportunity in the world to pursue and achieve your own dreams.” —Hillary Clinton in her 2016 concession speech
3)”I raise up my voice—not so I can shout, but so that those without a voice can be heard…we cannot succeed when half of us are held back.” ―Malala Yousafzai
4)”If you want something said, ask a man; if you want something done, ask a woman.” —Margaret Thatcher
5) “I’m tough, I’m ambitious, and I know exactly what I want. If that makes me a bitch, okay.” ―Madonna
6) “I tell my daughters to have their voice in this world, and it became clear I needed to role-model that.” — Melinda Gates, Co-Founder, The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
7) “Run to the fire; don’t hide from it.” — Meg Whitman, CEO and President, HP
8) “I did not have the most experience in the industry or the most money, but I cared the most.” — Sara Blakely, Founder, Spanx
9) “There are going to be people along the way who will try to undercut your success… but if you just focus on the work and you don’t let those people sidetrack you, someday when you get where you’re going… you’ll know that it was you and the people who love you that put you there.” — Taylor Swift, Award-Winning Musician
10) “I am proud of my position as a boss, as a person that runs my own company. I’m an entrepreneur. … I don’t want to shy away from it. I actually want to kind of grab it by its balls.” — Katy Perry, Award-Winning Musician
11) “Getting past those labels, for me, pretty much really easy because I define myself.” — Serena Williams, Athlete
12) “Power’s not given to you. You have to take it.” — Beyonce, Award-Winning Musician
13) “We need women at all levels, including the top, to change the dynamic, reshape the conversation, to make sure women’s voices are heard and heeded, not overlooked and ignored.” —Sheryl Sandberg
14) “Women are always saying,’We can do anything that men can do’ but men should be saying,’We can do anything that women can do.'” —Gloria Steinem
15) “The more I have spoken about feminism, the more I have realized that fighting for women’s rights has too often become synonymous with man-hating. If there is one thing I know for certain, it is that this has to stop.” —Emma Watson